Dahi vada / Thayir vada is the dumplings of fried urad dal
(medu vada) soaked in spiced curd. It is a special delicacy from North India and is prepared in most of the special occasions. It can be eaten as a snack or as a full meal. It is simple easy to follow the preparations
- Urad dal- 1 1/2 cup
- Ginger thinly chopped- 1 tsp
- Green chilly-1 nos
- Hing / Asafoetida-a pinch
- Pepper powder- 1/2 tsp
- Salt-to taste
- Curry leaves chopped-1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves chopped thinly-1 tbsp
- Wash and soak urad dal in water for for at least four hours.
- Drain it and grind it by adding green chilly and ginger chopped.
- Grind in to a coarse paste by adding only one or two tablespoon of water.
- Mix it with hing, coriander leaves and curry leaves chopped.
- Add only enough salt in to it and mix well for 2 minutes. (to remove air bubbles in it)
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
- Wet your hand with water.
- Take a bowl of grinding paste and make a hole in it’s centre by pressing with your thumb finger.
- Quickly add it in to the hot oil.
- Add all the vada’s in this way by applying water on your hand in each step.
- Fry it in low flame (if the flame is high; the inner part didn’t get cooked well.) until nice golden in color.
- Drain in to paper towels.
- For detailed picture and description of medu vada; Click Here: MeduVada/ Uzhunn Vadai
Ingredients For Dahi Vada:
- Methu vada/Urad Dal Vada- 10 nos
- Curd / yogurt -1 ½ cup
- Milk- 1/4 cup
- Coriander leaves chopped-1 tbsp
- Red chilly powder- 1/4 tsp
- Chaat masala- 1/4 tsp
- Salt-to taste
- Oil- 1 ½ tbsp
- Mustard seeds- 1tsp
- Cumin seeds- ½ tsp
- Dry red chilly -1 or 2
- Curry leaves-1 spring
- Hing/ asafoetida- a
- In a large bowl; mix two cups (or more) of water with enough
- Add the prepared vadas in to it. Soak it for a minute.
- Take it out and squeeze it well to remove the water in it.
- Add theses vada’s in to a plate.
- Beat the curd and milk well by adding little salt in it.
- Pour it on top of the vada’s evenly.
- Now do the seasoning.
- Heat a pan with oil; splutter mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- Add dry red chilly and curry leaves.
- Add hing and switch off the flame.
- Pour this seasoning over the curd.
- Sprinkle chilly powder, chaat masala and coriander leaves.
- Note: You can also add green chutney and sweet chutney to
this for an extra taste.Also use pomegranate seeds or sev to decorate.