Uzhunn vada / Medu vada is a popular snack in South India. It’s also known as Indian savory Doughnut as it’s shapes resembles the same. It’s simple easy to make these crispy dal fritters at home.
- Urad dal- 1 1/2 cup
- Ginger thinly chopped- 1 tsp
- Green chilly-1 nos
- Hing / Asafoetida-a pinch
- Pepper powder- 1/2 tsp
- Salt-to taste
- Curry leaves thinly chopped-1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves chopped thinly-1 tbsp
- Wash and soak urad dal in water for for at least four hours.
- Drain it and grind it by adding green chilly and ginger chopped.
- Grind in to a coarse paste by adding only one or two tablespoon of water.
- Add chopped hing, coriander leaves and curry leaves in to it.
- Add only enough salt in to it and mix well for 2 minutes. (to remove air bubbles in it)
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
- Wet your hand with water.
- Take a bowl of grinding paste and make a hole in it’s centre by pressing with your thumb finger
- Quickly add it in to the hot oil.
- Add all the vada’s in this way by applying water on your hand in each step.
- Fry it in low flame (if the flame is high; the inner part didn’t get cooked well.) until nice golden in color.
- Drain in to paper towels.
- Serve hot and enjoy the taste with a cup of tea.