Tomato ketchup is an important table sauce for most of them..Now a days it is easily available markets. It contains preservatives and we afraid to bring lot for children. But they crave for it more than adults..Making homemade tomato ketchup is a simple process. treat your family with this healthy dip along with the lovely Ramadan snacks…You must choose correctly ripen dark red tomatoes for making a good sauce..The taste differs a lot by using the ripe and raw tomatoes.
- Ripe Red Tomatoes-1 kg
- Cinnamon- 2 small one inch stick
- Clove-5 nos
- Cardamom-5 nos
- Pepper corns crushed-1 tsp
- Olive oil-1 tsp
- Sugar / (brown sugar)- 1/2 cup
- Kashmiri chilly powder/ (normal chilly powder)- 1tsp
- Garlic powder- 1/2 tsp (see notes below*)
- Wash the tomatoes well and cut them in to small pieces.
- Put it in a pressure cooker.
- Now take a small cotton kitchen towel and place the cinnamon, clove, cardamom and pepper corns crushed on its centre and tie the towel and add theses tied towel to the pressure cooker and mix it with tomatoes. ( by doing so we get all the flavors of the spices in tomato).
- Pressure cooks it for three whistles on medium flame (don’t add any water.)
- After releasing the pressure by itself, open the lid and take out the kitchen towel from it (avoid it along with the spices).
- Now blend the tomatoes well in a blender. (without adding any water)
- Sieve it through a strainer and remove the excess lumps.
- Heat a pan with olive oil; and add the blended tomato puree in to it.
- Add sugar, chilly powder, garlic powder and salt in to it.
- Mix well and cooks it for about 15-20 minutes or until the sauce starts thicken.
- Switch off the flame and allow to cool completely before storing.
- Store it in a dry container and use it up to one month.
- Note: If you don’t have garlic powder in your kitchen add three small pods of garlic crushed inside the spice towel.